Before fighting the termites in your house, it’s extremely important that you have to know your wood-eating enemy. Learning everything you can about termites can allow you to understand these creatures so it is possible to formulate better strategies to eliminate them completely from your premises.
1. The termites don’t sleep. They eat all day long, each and every day. This 24/7 operation makes them very effective in getting rid of decaying wood in the woods, but this action is deemed very destructive once the food they are foraging on will be the wooden areas of the house.
2. The lifespan of these termites may fluctuate. The non-reproductive members can endure for only a few years. The individual termite colonies are known to exist for up to a century.
3. There’s 1 king and queen at the termite colony.
4. Worker and soldier termites are equally female and male. They are usually wingless and vast majority of them are blind. They’re also sterile as a result of inhibitory pheromones released by the king and queen termites. There are particular soldiers and employees whose purpose is to look after the eggs and the young.
5. They’re also tasked as groomers of other tribe members.
6. Soldier termites are primarily the defenders of the colony. The use their large mandibles to decapitate intruders such as rodents. For some termite species without a soldier termites, the nymphs and employees act as the defenders of the colony.
7. If all of the termites on Earth are weighed, their combined total weight will be much greater than the combined weight of all people on Earth.
8. Termites have a trophallaxis behaviour wherein they feed other colony members via anus-to-mouth (proctodeal) feeding.
9. Termites digest timber throughout the bacteria and protozoans within their intestinal tracts. The young termites could acquire these intestinal germs during feeding period from worker termites.